Wednesday, July 12, 2017

L.A. Guns, Budderside and Sinful Lilly: Interview and Concert Review at The Forum Part 1:

By: Lucy Hall

Sinful Lilly Photos by Taylor Burgess and Thomas R. Riggs

Fredi Handshoe, the frontman/singer/songwriter/guitar slinger is the leader of a band that features an enigmatic and definitely energetic rhythm section comprised of bassist/singer/songwriter, Nikki Valklix and drummer, Trey Bledsoe.
Nikki surprised the crowd when he ran amongst the audience pounding his bass during their performance at The Forum in Hazard Kentucky on July 30th, when they played alongside L.A. Guns and Budderside. Nikki’s aggressive playing while engaging the audience was gutsy and I haven’t seen this type of band/crowd interaction since the Kiss Psycho Circus Tour, when Paul Stanley flew into the audience on a zipline. Except, he flew throughout the audience and was scared to let his feet touch the floor.
I got the opportunity to meet the shirtless drum basher, Trey at the venue whom I had not gotten to meet at the last Sinful Lilly show. This guy has revived the all but lost art of over the top drum bashing similar in creed to Keith Moon, consisting of drumming that will crack your eardrums.
Together they have created a steamy modern musical mix that includes not only an 80’s musical undertone that could be upbeat pop metal, but also a darker side of White Zombie style chords, rhythms, and choruses that is heavy and pissed off, yet much more in between.
When I first saw the band perform alongside Bullet Boys back in April at the Appalshop, I bet then that the band member’s music collection at home would be as much punk, and industrial, as it is metal. During their recent performance I noticed the band had an even harder sound than I recognized previously. I could have sworn I heard splices of 90’s industrial metal this time round integrated into some songs; such as maybe a little Prong, White Zombie or Green Jelly.   

I recently had the opportunity to interview Fredi, Nikki and Trey. I learned they do have diverse influences, an impressive background in music, and that they have much love and respect for their fans.

HEAVY MAKEUP: How long have you been playing music? 

Fredi: Since I was born…

Nikki: I've been interested in playing music for as long as I can remember, but being serious about playing music, five to six years

Trey: I was a late starter, very much into sports and thought baseball would be what I would do but that didn't work out.  I beat on pots and pans as a kid (typical) but around 15 I started playing every day.

HEAVY MAKEUP: When did you get into playing your instrument and why?

Fredi: I got into playing guitar when I was a freshman in High School. To meet girls of course…..haha. I’m a huge Beatles fan and that made me wanna play music but Ace Frehley of KISS made me wanna play guitar. Nothing really took off until I moved to Atlanta and started playing originals with Sex Cab....opening for National Acts. 

Nikki: I always had a heavy interest in playing at a young age but finally applied myself once I grew tired of playing Guitar Hero and picked up a real instrument.

Trey: I got into drums loving all sorts of things I'd heard.  I was heavily involved in the Catholic Church at the time so I thought if I listened to Stryper and Slayer, it would cancel itself out.  But melodic rock got my attention at first but then sleaze rock showed up and I was gone. Salty Dog, Bang Tango, Dangerous Toys (melodic in their own right) and a number of others.  Then I was influenced heavily by the late 90's nu metal. Involved in the local scene w/ a band called Twist and I really did love that band.  But I got to know the guys from Chum, Supafuzz and so many others it's crazy.  Chris from FFDP was part of that scene and I filled in with his band once or twice at least.

HEAVY MAKEUP: What was the first instrument you owned?

Fredi: A Sears Cherry Sunburst Acoustic…..when I was 8 yrs old I got it for Christmas. Although my first electric was a Tesco Delray that had the amp built into the case. I purchased that guitar/amp combo for $50 at a local brothel when I was thirteen….didn’t really know what I was walking into until I got there…..haha. If I was a little older, I might have gotten even a better deal on that guitar ….but it all worked out for the best….haha. I don’t have the guitar anymore, traded it off years ago but I do still have the amp and use it in the studio sometimes.

Nikki: Les Paul Jr.

Trey: A cheap white Tama kit which I sold when I upgraded and that kit made the rounds w/ half the drummers from my hometown.

HEAVY MAKEUP: Fredi/Nikki many different guitars are you currently using on stage? 

Fredi: 4 but it depends on how long our set is and how many different tunings I use….
1995 Black Gibson Les Paul Standard, 1993 Purple Gibson Les Paul Classic (looks red), 1984 Tobacco Sunburst Gibson Les Paul Custom and a 2011 TV Yellow Gibson Les Paul Jr.

Nikki: Two, Red B.C. Rich Mockingbird and a Black Gibson Thunderbird

HEAVY MAKEUP: Trey many different snares are you currently using on stage? 

Trey: If I get the opportunity, I use the DW custom first and the black beauty second.

HEAVY MAKEUP: Fredi/Nikki who are your favorite guitarists?

Fredi: Ace Frehley, Zakk Wylde, Randy Rhodes, Tony Iommi …..to name a few.

Nikki: Paul Stanley of Kiss and Doyle Wolfgang Von Frankenstein of the Misfits. I thought Paul Stanley always had rad moves as a showman/frontman on stage and it's more entertaining to watch the band members get into what they're doing onstage rather than watch them stand around facing down the entire set. As for Doyle, I dig his playing in the early Misfits days talking about giving his guitar a chainsaw-esque tone and giving his guitar a knuckle sandwich, always thought that was rad as hell.

HEAVY MAKEUP: Trey who are your favorite drummers?

Trey: Brian Tichy, Eric Singer (been a fan and follower for years), Tommy Cluefetos, Bill Ward, Randy Castillo, Tommy Lee (showmanship), Vik Foxx, Seven Antanopolous, this list could go for a long damn time.

HEAVY MAKEUP: What’s your advice to a young player? 

Fredi: Listen to everything but play what you enjoy and practice, practice, practice.

Nikki: Your fingers may hurt now, but they'll toughen up!

Trey: Determine what your comfort zone is and step outside of it.  Learn every style under the sun. Also, listen to every song playing in the background. You never know when you may rip apart from it.

HEAVY MAKEUP: Early on in your career in music, did you always do vocals or were pushed into the role, due to not being able to find an appropriate singer? 

Fredi: One of the bands that I joined during my college years….singing was a requirement. That was the kick in the ass that got me started…..haha.

HEAVY MAKEUP: Is there a facet to the music business that you prefer? Recording, touring, writing? 

Fredi: No, I enjoy the creative side during the writing process, the producing and engineering during the recording and the interaction with the fans on and off stage during the touring. Well maybe…..the performance is where everything comes together….there is nothing like seeing someone in the audience singing your song…

Nikki: I enjoy it all….

Trey: Touring and more touring…. I’m a live drummer.

HEAVY MAKEUP: While in the writing progress, where do you channel your lyrical inspiration? Do you write from your own experiences, or does the songs have certain story lines or themes?

Fredi: Every song is different, it really depends on what I want to convey. Sometimes I read a headline to a news article or pick up an ideal while watching a movie…..my inspiration comes from everywhere. I do pull from my own experiences but I usually intertwine that with a story line or a vibe that I want to create.

Nikki: I watch a lot of horror movies and read books of wild or introspective ideologies, so majority of what I write stems from those. But nothing beats writing about a gut feelin'.
Fredi: I agree...

Trey: I play either what's best for the song or if Fredi's in agreement, I go f'n nuts and enjoy myself!!!

HEAVY MAKEUP: What’s your favorite song to perform live?

Fredi: Devil Music and The Record Machine, speaking of writing and inspiration……the music was written first. I wanted to write something with a groove and the lyrics kind of came out of a saying that some of my family use to say when I was younger. I remember once I was listening to Love Gun by KISS and one of my Grandparents told me to turn off that Devil Music……well I guess it stuck with me….so when we were recording and I had to title our work for the day…..my comment was “just some good ole’ Devil Music” and the lyrics grew from that….haha

Nikki: The same, Devil Music and the Record Machine, it's just a fun groove to dance to and play at the same time.

Trey: Either Devil Music or Jack...actually it's Jack.  I'm not held to a click on that one so I can go crazier.  Plus I think we do a damn fine job on that with the ending & the live vibe of the whole thing.

HEAVY MAKEUP: When you go out on stage, what goes through your head? If anything, what crosses your mind? 

Trey: It - is - Mother - F*ckin' - On.  I live for this.  That's what I think.

Fredi: Oh Yeah….that’s it!!

Nikki: Yeah!!

HEAVY MAKEUP: Since you have had a long history of performing music, do you still get the same rush as in the beginning while performing?

Fredi: I do get a rush but different from in the beginning. I get a rush now because I can’t wait to get on stage….I love performing….it is where I feel most comfortable.

Trey: Absolutely, I enjoy delivering the goods (sorry Judas Priest).  I love performing and I love just being up there.  It's my drug.

Nikki: Yeah…

HEAVY MAKEUP: Do you warm up your voice pre show or any preshow rituals?

Fredi: I do have some vocal exercises that I warm up with, I took lessons from Ken Tamplin…… an incredible vocal instructor.

Nikki: Majority of my preshow ritual consists of stretching, gotta stay loose or I know I'll be stiff for days. 

Trey: Sort of but I really just do basic rudiments and go up and jam.

HEAVY MAKEUP: Have you ever had any mishaps or Spinal Tap type experiences? 

Fredi: I was performing at Ace Frehley’s birthday party in 2002 in New Jersey and some crazy shit went down between him and Gene Simmons. A few mins later Ace was standing on stage with me and the band telling everyone that he was going to leave KISS for the 2nd time. That was really surreal.  Also in Omaha at a show one time, the stage manager couldn’t find the way to the stage….every door that lead to the stage was locked for some reason….so after about 15 mins of trying to access the stage…they gave up and walked us through the crowd….pretty cool entrance after all….at least we didn’t get lost under the stage…..like Spinal Tap…haha

Trey: With Sinful Lilly, no.  With other acts…..well I've made Spinal Tap look like the Disney movie of the week.  Ever had the cartel in your cheap hotel room armed waiting on payment from your singer?  Spinal Tap didn't cover that.

Nikki: Haha….

HEAVY MAKEUP: What’s next for Sinful Lilly, any tour plans, or upcoming projects? 

Fredi: Working on our first full album release and our first video which will be for “Devil Music and the Record Machine”. As far as tour plans…..yes, once the album is completed.

Trey: I'm pushing Fredi to finish the damn album and get a tour!!!

Fredi: Haha….Yeah, I need to get my ass in gear and my producer hat on… Well, I am flying out to Colorado to meet with Richard Easterling to mix 3 more songs the night after our show with Last in Line. Richard has worked on albums for DollSkin, Train, Tantric, Muse, Fuel, AmericanHeadCharge, Mark Slaughter and Dangerous Toys to name a few….. He also works a lot with Dave (Megadeth) Ellefson’s label EMP.

HEAVY MAKEUP: Music television and radio as an outlet for hard rock/metal became almost non-existence in the wake of alternative and pop music. For musicians it had to come down to having to rely directly on live performance, touring, and maintaining a core fan base. Which is and always has been the basic grassroots of rock. Bands have had to solely depend on having a core following. For you and your band it is evident that you “get it”. You use every facet available to promote your band. You get out there and talk to fans, and you network a lot. I believe that your efforts are effective and very much appreciated by fans. What do you think about changes in the music and lack of support for metal? 

Fredi: I feel that we have to work for every fan that we have. I want every person that comes to one of our shows to feel special, because they are…..they spent their hard earned money to see us and whoever else was on the bill. I want them to remember us on stage and off. I’m a talker so I enjoy talking to our fans and finding out who they are and where they’re from. That’s how we form a special connection with them…….they are the greatest!!! That’s no BS. As far as the lack of support…..this is a business….you either evolve and roll with the here and now or die like a dinosaur. Don’t wait for opportunities to arise…..make your own opportunities happen…

Trey: You do ask people to network on your behalf but the way to do it today is tour, tour and tour some more, sell merch, tour some more, rinse / wash / repeat.

HEAVY MAKEUP: Are you influenced at all by what’s going on in music today? What bands are you currently listening to both old and new?

Fredi: Yes, you have to if you want to stay relevant. Though I’ve always got some Alice Cooper or KISS on my playlist for the old….. you’ll see Manson on there as well as Motorhead. As far as the new stuff on my playlists…..you’ll find Beasto Blanco, Motionless in White, Rob Zombie latest album.

Trey: Artists nobody has heard but sufficient to say, I listen to anything I can get my hands on from rock to pop to metal to Djent to Dubstep.  I listen and used defensive listening in case I need to use it on a song.  

Nikki: All the time, of course it depends on how I'm feeling, and the new bands I listen to may not sound anything like what we do, but I like to try and experiment with different elements that stem from what I'm listening to. I've been currently jamming to Manson's Antichrist Superstar and Iggy Pop's Raw Power in full, as for new stuff...I've been hooked on Doyle's new album as well as Wednesday 13's new release.

Sinful Lilly is classic while staying relevant. They understand what it takes to be successful, and because they love music they realize that quality is much better than quantity. They strive to demonstrate that with all their dedication and hard work to stay true to their music and fans. Like Fredi says, they work for every fan. These are prime examples of what this band is all about. They have a quality production and the image you’d expect from any commercial rock band.
Upcoming projects include a new album and rock videos, so we’ll be checking back with Sinful Lilly, a talented band whose big sound is a winning one.


Sinful Lilly at the Forum Photos by Taylor Burgess 

Singer/Guitarist, Fredi Handshoe
Bassist, Nikki Valklix
Drummer, Trey Bledsoe

Sinful Lilly at the Forum Photos by Thomas R. Riggs
Drummer, Trey Bledsoe

Bassist, Nikki Valklix  

Singer/Guitarist, Fredi Handshoe

Nikki and Fredi


Lucy

2 comments:

  1. Nice article. Blind Peace got to play with these guys and LA Guns a few years back at Summit City and I have to say that Fredi and Nikki were two of the coolest and nicest guys I've met. Trey wasn't with them at the time so I haven't had the pleasure of meeting him yet. These guys are a kick ass rock and roll band and crazy entertaining. Check em out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice review I concur they rock hard

    ReplyDelete