Monday, May 8, 2017

Bullet Boys: Firing Squad Retrospective 2017 Tour

By: Lucy Hall

      When the Bullet Boys released their debut album Bullet Boys in 1988; I became an instant fan. Being a lifelong metal fan, at that time in the 80’s, I idolized the Los Angeles hard rock movement. I tended to like the heavier groups of that particular subdivision of metal, such as Ratt, Twisted Sister, Guns and Roses, and W.A.S.P. However, when the Bullet Boys emerged on the scene, with a harder sound, and edgier look, my full attention was captured and then primarily focused on this one band.   
      Charismatic vocalist Marq Torien’s voice was unlike anything I had ever heard up to that point and beyond.  His power and passion was and remains evident. Marq has a powerful and wide bluesy vocal range, which is more akin to the front men of the bands I have admired most, that of Led Zeppelin and Van Halen. Correspondingly, his moves were also unlike anything I had ever seen or would see again, which left a compelling image burnt into my mind to this day. All of which elevated his image for me as the "Rock God" archetype. His powerful stage persona, although it was reminiscent of Roth and Plant, is still uniquely his own. Marq’s captivating moves consisting of swaying hips and forceful gestures to the audience was very inspiring to me. I would often emulate these smooth moves while watching the video for “Smooth Up in Ya” on MTV’s Hard Sixty series.          
        Being a Bullet Boys fan during the 80’s in rural Kentucky is a melancholy story. There were virtually no record stores and really no place to purchase good music. To be able to own copy of the Bullet Boys album, my older sister had to take me across the state line to buy me a copy at a liquor store. To be able to own a rock t-shirt of the band, a family member residing in the state of Michigan had to purchase and mail me a shirt.  
       Regardless, I was able to obtain my band merchandise at that time; and later when Freakshow (1991) was released I joined the Bullet Boys fan club and then was able to receive band updates, and even an autograph photo by mail, which I still have and treasure today. As you can see in my attached photo. 
      Flash forward to the present, the band continues to work diligently to tour, write, perform and release albums. I was thrilled that the band visited my home town during their tour on April 13, 2017 at the Appalshop theatre. I knew the band would pour their heart and soul into the performance and that's exactly what they did.                                                                                                                                                            
Lucy


Bullet Boys perform on stage at Appalshop Theatre April 13, 2017

Vocalist/Guitarist, Marq Torien giving his dedicated fan, and Author, Lucy Hall a hug


Vocalist/Guitarist, Marq Torien meets, greets and signs autographs for fans
Bassist, Chad MacDonald with Author, Lucy Hall
Drummer, Joaquin Revuelta with Author, Lucy Hall


Guitarist, Nick Rozz with Author, Lucy Hall
Bullet Boys playing hard and heavy



































Center Stage

2 comments: